Monday 30 September 2013

An exclusive interview with Barrack O'King


Micheal Abatan known popularly as Barrack O'King is a fast rising Yoruba rapper known both at home in Nigeria and abroad (UK and most African countries) for his nice flows and swift use of words that makes you want to learn how to speak Yoruba, he came out in a time when Yoruba rap was gaining massive popularity in Nigeria.
The late Dagrin was a major player in the Yoruba rap scene, before his demise, Dagrin served as a mentor to the young Barrack O'King, as both of them were very close.
Barrack O'King released a track titled Owo meji, Ese meji which was a very hot track in most clubs in the UK, Ghana and Nigeria. To find out more about this track click HERE
I held a telephone interview with the artist over the weekend, this is how it went:
 You are no doubt a fast rising rapper in Nigeria, when did you discover your musical talent ?
       I have always had a love for music, I was always interested in music as a kid, back then, I had a tape recorder, I used to record stuffs in the tape recorder  and play it back, then I did it for fun, just to amuse myself and my family members.
       However, the turning point in my life came when I met Dagrin in 2008, his musical style inspired me, he always believed in me and challenged me to be better at my art.


Barrack O'King and Terry G
Tell us about your record label and how you got signed.
             Am currently under Satty records, Satty records is one of the biggest record labels in Nigeria, I believe I was really fortunate to have been signed under this record label, I met the CEO of Satty records through a cousin of mine at the famous elegushi beach, that singular act served as a ladder for me to attain greater heights, Satty records has really helped in promoting my music.

Barrack Oking with his London promoter CEO QueB ent UK@ club N-tyce during his lagos to london tour

Oct 1st is Nigeria's independence day and also your birthday, what do you have for your fans?
Am really excited and I feel privileged to have been born on Nigeria's Independence day. I really appreciate my fans all over the world, my fans in London, Vertigo bar elegushi, Ghana, North American University, Yabatech, Lagos State University, University of Lagos, Lagos state, Club Vegas... the list is truly endless, I want to say a big thank you for being there for me.
Am going to drop two tracks for my fans on Oct 1st, the first one is called Money, while the second one is called Fuck it, these tracks are really tight, they are like nothing you v ever heard before, the tracks were done in collaboration with BMD (ogidiom), Da_Boy, Young Kris, Y_man and a host of other artists, Island beat is the mastermind behind the groovy beats on the tracks, this is just a form of appreciation to all my fans, so y'all should keep your fingers crossed...

Barrack Oking wt his manager
Where do you see yourself in five years time?
             By God's grace, in five years time, I would want to be a musical director, producer and a beat maker, I have this passion of helping people express their musical talent, afterall someone helped me up, it would only be fair to help others up.

Barrack O'King with Terry G at the Lagos-London party
A good number of people are going into music in recent times, what would be your advice to these young musicians? 
              First and foremost, you have to believe in God, pray for his guidance in all you do, and also work hard, and believe in yourself. It might be difficult in the beginning, but eventually all the hard work would pay off, and pray you have a manager and a team of people that actually believe in you like I am fortunate to.
.


To find out more about Barrack O'king and his 'Owo meji, Ese meji' track, click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment